Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Newest Obsession...Moss

I have found an incredible medium that I absolutely love...moss!  I was browsing the isles at my local Dollar Tree store and I found myself looking at the floral/vase section.  They had a bag of what looked like moss covered stones.  I had been brainstorming to think of how I was going to decorate my cool re-claimed greenhouse  for all of the seasons of the year.  These green moss stones got the creative juices flowing.  I bought a few bags of the faux stones (for a whopping $1 a piece) and then my obsession began.

If you follow me on my Christmas blog (The Christmas Guy) then you know that I'm the king of making a wide variety of ornaments using the plain clear glass ornaments you can purchase at many craft stores.  My moss mission began with thoughts of covering those ornaments with the moss.



My search for moss ended at Hobby Lobby where I found moss in pre-packaged sheets.  These sheets have a webbed backing that makes it super easy to attach to things.  A package of this great stuff cost $6.99 but was a deal when I used my 40% off coupon (coupons for hobby lobby can be found online weekly at www.hobbylobby.com). 



I am in love with this product.  I have intentions "mossing" anything and everything that I can get my hands on.  What until you see some of the things I have done with this moss.  I don't have pics of these ornaments in action.  I'll post those after I get all of my spring decor put up in the living room.  Stay tuned!

NOTE: While these are very spring and summer friendly, they can also easily be used in your Christmas decor.  For instance, a garden themed tree or a tree that incorporates other natural dried elements.  Don't be surprised if you see these somewhere in my trees for Christmas 2012

Supplies
Ornaments (old or new)
Moss (I buy the sheets rather than a bag of just loose moss)
Scissors
Glue gun & glue



Instructions
  • Start buy cutting some random pieces from your moss sheets.
  • Carefully apply glue your moss pieces.
  • Apply the pieces to your ornament.  You may need to do some creative folding but you'll find that these moss sheets are very forgiving.  You'll need to start cutting specific sized pieces to fill in holes as you work your way around your ornament.  The moss is very easy to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment