Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My Own Magnets

I received inspiration for my magnet project from my sister-in-law.  She stopped me while I was visiting one day to show me the cutest little magnets that her and my neice had been making together.  They made them out of the flat marble-like pieces that she had purchased for $1.00 at the Dollar Tree in town.  As I stood there I was thinking to myself..."add this to your project list."  That's as far as it got.

A few weeks later I'm out shopping with a friend and she fell in love with the same type of magnets that had pieces of an atlas/map with city names under them.  She purchased them (even though they costs WAY too much) and it got me thinking.  I remembered the ones my sister-in-law made and I was determined to get busy on making my own.  LOL






There are a ton of variations you can do with these cool magnets.  For the ones I'm showing here I used pages from an old book, copies out of a hymnal and flower pictures I cut from a flower/bulb catalog.  You can layer your papers, add cut outs and use countless other things printed on paper. 

Supplies
Larger flat bottomed glass marble discs
Paper/Embelleshments of choice
Scissors
Glue (I used an amazing glue pen)
Fingernail polish
Magnets



Instructions
  • Pick your first glass disc and trace around onto your paper choice.
  • Cut out the object you traced.  Be sure to cut on the inside of the line slightly so that your paper piece is just a tad bit smaller than the space you traced.
  • Add any layers you wish to the piece you just cut.  I had very tiny letters to attach.  I use an amazing glue pen that I purchased from the craft department at Walmart.  It's great for small projects like this.

  • Prepare the back, flat part of your disc to adhere the paper piece.  I used the same glue pen for this part.  It has a narrow and wide end for versatile application.  I simply apply a complete layer of glue from the pen and then attached my paper piece, face down onto the disc.


  • Line your piece up correctly onto the disc.  I turned my over on the counter and gave it a good squish to work out any bubbles in the glue.  Allow this to dry completely before moving on to the next step.
  • I wanted to seal the back of the paper before applying the magnet.  To do so I simply painted a coat of clear fingernail polish onto the paper.  Be sure to get a little along the edges of your paper piece to seal it onto the disc.  Allow this to dry completely before moving on to the next step.
  • Finally, using the same glue pen I applied a small spot of glue to the back of my disc and put on the magnet.  Allow this to dry and then you've got some really cute magnets.

No comments:

Post a Comment