Sunday, December 11, 2011

Chipboard Letters

I love, love, love letters!  In fact, some people laugh because I have my initials scattered all over the house.  I also love to have random words spelled out on a shelf or counter for holidays and other special occassions.  One of my newest obsessions is using the pages from an old book and old hymnal as my medium for ornaments and other decor items. 



These letters are great to give as gifts.  You can tie them to presents, wine bottles, etc.  You can also spell out words or entire names and string them together into a garland with ribbon.  The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.  I will definetely be making more of these using different papers and embelishments.  Check back to see how I've covered the next batch.

Supplies
Chipboard letters
Paper
Scissors
Craft knife
Glue stick
Acrylic paint
Paint brush



Instructions
  • Paint the edge (and back if you wish) of your chipboard letter.  Choose a paint that compliments the color of the paper you are using to cover the front of your letter.  Let the paint dry completely before moving on to the next step.

  • Cover the entire front surface of the letter with glue.  Be certain that all of the edges of the letter have plenty of glue to prevent your paper from peeling off.

  • Place your letter face down onto your paper choice.  Apply plenty of pressure to be sure that your paper is sufficiently stuck to the front of your letter.  I turned the paper over and ran my finger along the front, just to be certain that everything was firmly glued on.

  • Take a sharp craft knife and carefully cut along the edges of the letter.  Be certain that your knife is sharp.  A dull knife may cause you to tear the paper rather than cut.  Tearing the paper often pulls it off of the front of the letter.

  • You may need to take your knife and clean around the front edges once you have finished cutting off the excess paper.

    I went one step further with these particular letters and applied an antique linen finish using something called Distress Ink (purchased at Hobby Lobby) to make the paper look aged. 


    No comments:

    Post a Comment