Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Canvas Creations - Painting Negative Space

I inherited some blank canvases from my aunt that have been sitting in my basement for well over a year.  I knew that there would eventuall be a project that they would come in handy for.  That project has finally arrived.  LOL

I've been doing a lot of experimenting on cutting vinyl with my Cricut.  I paired my vinyl cutouts with some scrap fabric and a blank canvas to create a custom sign.  I used the vinyl as a reverse stencil, painting the negative space over the cutouts.  I'm fairly impressed with the results and can't wait to continue to create other signs.



I will definetely be making more of these and will be sure to post the pics.

Supplies
Stretched Canvas
Fabric
Staple Gun
Spray Paint
Contact Paper
Scissors (I cheated and used my Cricut)


Instructions

  • Start by cutting out whatever you'd like to have showing on your piece from a stickable vinyl.  I used contact paper.  I cheated and cut my pieces with my Cricut but you can easily cut whatever letters, images or designs you wish by hand.  Use stencils and trace them if needed.
  • Wrap your canvas with your fabric by stretching and stapling it onto the backside of the fram.

  • Peel the backing off of the vinyl and stick them directly onto the fabric.

  • Take your spray paint and give the enitre piece an even coat of paint.  I could tell that this would need two coats so I was careful not to oversaturate the fabric for fear the paint would bleed under the vinyl.  Be sure to get the sides of your frame as well.

  • NOTE: The vinyl started to peel up after it had set for a while.  Watch it carefully and try to get the second coat of paint on before it starts doing so.  You can see the peeling on the next pic.

  • After the piece is completely dry, begin removing the vinyl from the fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment